Pizza potato was one of my favorite meals growing up. My mom actually created it and named it. So if you've never heard of pizza potato before, it was a term my beautiful mother, Badria, made up. It's a meal in itself. It's pretty versatile, so you can make many different variations of it. Add raisins to the meat mixture for a touch of sweetness. Add Italian seasonings or other seasonings of your choice for a different ethnic taste. You may even want to sprinkle some shredded cheese in between the meat mixture and the potatoes. It's your choice.
This recipe is more like how my mom used to make it.
1 1/2 lb lean beef, lamb or turkey
5 lbs Russet potatoes washed and scrubbed(Russet works best.)
1 bunch fresh celery leaves, chopped fine
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 large yellow onion (minced)
2 tsp turmeric (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fill a large deep pot with water, enough to cover potatoes.
- bring water to boil and place potatoes in the pot until soft (about 20 - 30 minutes)
- drain the potatoes and let cool
- Brown meat in large skillet
- Drain excess fat from meat after it's browned.
- Place the ground meat back in the skillet and add the vegetables (celery, parsley and onion).
- Add Olive Oil and brown until vegetables are wilted.
- Season meat with turmeric, ground pepper and salt.
- Set meat aside to cool.
- Peel and mash the potatoes and add seasoning as desired (turmeric, salt, pepper).
- Divide potatoes into two batches.
- Spread 1 batch of potatoes onto the bottom of a 9 1/2 x 11 inch pan (you can grease the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.
- Pour the meat mixture on top of the potato.
- Spread the last batch of the potato on top of the meat mixture. You have to be really careful here, because it's not easy spreading the potato on the top layer. Wet your hands if you need to, to prevent sticking.
- Whisk egg yolk in small bowl and brush the top of your pizza with it.
- Place pan in oven for 45 min - 1 hr.
- Your pizza potato is done once the top is browned.
- Let cool before slicing.
Serve with cut up veges such as carrots, celery, and cucumber. In my household we also serve it with a greek salad and whole wheat pita bread. Yum, yum, yum, yum! You will love it. Click here to go to greek salad
Return from Pizza Potato to the homepage.