This oxtail soup is wonderful on a cold wintry night to warm your soul.
Have fun with the ingredients. You can make your own variation depending on what kinds of vegetables you have on hand. You can add frozen peas, lima bean, or your favorite canned beans. I change it up all the time, but the basics are the same.
Broth from oxtail
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 small yellow onion (minced)
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
28 oz canned petite diced tomatoes
2 cup frozen okra
2 cup diced carrots
2 tsp turmeric
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
1 Can (8 oz) tomato sauce
2 Tbs tomato paste, thinned with the broth from the oxtails
- Cook oxtails ahead of time until tender. You can cook it a day ahead. They'll take about 1-2 hrs to cook. You can also use a pressure cooker to cook them, if you have one. Pressure cookers can cook food in minutes.
- In a large dutch oven (or a deep pot) saute garlic and onion until translucent
- Toss in the tomato, sprinkle seasonings (turmeric, pepper, salt, Italian seasoning) and saute until tomatoes are mushy.
- Whisk the tomato paste with 1/2 cup of broth from the oxtails and pour into vegetable mixture.
- Pour the remaining broth from the oxtails into the pot. (Add more broth or water, depending on how thin or thick you like the soup.)
- Add the Okra, carrots and Oxtails.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/medium low and simmer for 20 min - 30 min
- Remove from heat and ladle into soup bowls.
You can serve it over rice or for those of you watching your carb intake it's a meal in itself.
Return from Oxtail Soup to the homepage.